Thursday, July 9, 2009

Splash and Dash

O.k. time to start blogging again... more on why tomorrow. But today was the second Splash and Dash here in Colorado Springs.... swim... run.... no bike. I love it! These races are basically a 40 minute hard effort... they hurt, but it's fun.

Chris Bagg was here and I was really worried about him running past me. So the horn goes off and I hammer the swim. It's two 1/2 mile loops, so I took a peek at my lead half way through the swim and just tried to build on it. Then had a terrible transition and started running. I hit the first mile mark in 5:45, that was 10 seconds faster than two weeks ago. Mile 2 was 5:55, also 10 seconds faster than the last race. But I was starting to hurt, I tried to just relax and stride it out. I knew that Chris would have to be flying to make up time on me, but I still had 1.75 mile to go. I missed the last mile marker split but using the 2 mile mark I could see I was still just under 6 minute mile pace (the course is 3 loops of 1.25 miles so you see the markers for the all the mile each lap). I finally take a look back to see if I could see Chris and thankfully I didn't. So I just keep it smooth to the finish.

The swim was a little long probably, but you won' ever hear me complain about that. Now it's bed time and decide in the morning if I want to go to swim practice.

No comments: